The Jackman-Willett House, a restored colonial structure, is maintained by The Sons & Daughters of the First Settlers of Newbury. Originally located on the east side of High Road, north off "the road to the landing place," the house was built by Richard Jackman in 1696.
Richard Jackman was the son of James Jackman and the nephew of Henry Short, both early settlers of Newbury. Elizabeth, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (Plummer) Jackman, and her husband, Joseph Willett, lived in the little house, which became known as the Willett House. Their son John inherited the house in 1729. Following his death in 1739, the house came into the William Plumer family. In 1800 Samuel Danforth purchased it for $250 and lived there with his bride, Edna Plumer.
In 1846 their son Joshua moved back onto the property and built a new house on the site. The old house became a wood shed and carriage house. From 1892 to 1929, Stephen P. Hale owned the property, where he lived in the new house.
The Sons & Daughters bought the house for its headquarters from Mr. Hale's estate in 1930. In 1932 it was moved to a lot at the foot of Little Oldtown Hill, next to the First Settlers Burying Ground. The rear portion was constructed to provide living quarters and a general restoration to the main dwelling was accomplished.
In 1982 the house was moved once more, to land donated to the Society by the Plumer-Humphrey family on Cottage Road. This present site is believed to be within 100 feet of the original site. Renovations were made to update the living quarters, and it is occupied by a tenant/caretaker.
In 1986 a large parcel of land next to the house was donated to the Society by the Plumer-Humphrey family. The house and land together form a very lovely setting.